Group Senior Legal Counsel
WeLab Group has operations in China, Hong Kong and Indonesia. We are ranked #7 in China and #23 globally on KPMG’s 2018 Fintech Top 100, and the only Hong Kong fintech recognized on the list for 3 straight years. We have also been awarded “Best Business Model” and “Best Data Analytics Initiative” by The Asian Banker in 2018. We hold a virtual bank licence in Hong Kong and will launch the virtual bank soon. We also operate WeLend, the leading online lending platform in Hong Kong.
WeLab aims to bring joy to everyone’s financial journey. We strive to improve people’s lives by reinventing financial services through game-changing technology. We put our people first, whether it’s our customers or our employees. We are an energetic and passionate team that can deliver and execute. Now you have the opportunity to join us on our journey to achieve our vision and be part of building a better financial future for everyone.
About this role:
- This is a newly created senior role in the Group Legal function. You will work closely with different business and functions and report to the Group General Counsel. Your work will include:
- Handling a broad range of group level legal work, including joint ventures, partnerships, investments, debt & equity financings, new markets entries, internal investigations, commercial contract review, provision of legal advice
- Coordinating and managing external counsels and external legal spend
- Assisting the Group General Counsel in achieving effective management of legal risks e.g. through appropriate legal policy & procedures and templates.
- Supervising and mentoring junior team members
- Providing training on legal and compliance matters to the business and different functions
- At least 14 years’ post-qualification experience, with at least 2 years gained in-house experience and 2 years from top tier law firm
- Trained and qualified in Hong Kong, UK, Australia or Singapore with solid corporate / corporate finance experience
- Professional level proficiency in Chinese and English
- In-house experience at financial institutions an advantage
- Experience in general fintech or TMT regulatory areas (including data privacy, cyber security, intellectual property) an advantage
- Ability to understand business goals and risk appetite; good commercial sense and business acumen
- Team player, resourceful, solution-oriented and collaborative
- Strong analytical and communication skills; strong sense of responsibility and responsiveness
- Ability to prioritise multiple projects and work independently in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- You're a go-getter with mad juggling skills (or multiple hats) who can thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment
- You have a strong thirst for knowledge and are driven to find solutions that don't exist yet
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and extremely resourceful (in your past life you could've been a detective)
- You always find a way to get things done without sacrificing the quality of your work, integrity and values. No task is off limits for you.
- You are humble and prioritize the success of the team over your own with an eagerness to help those around you
- You don't shy away from challenges and have the ability to bounce back from setbacks
- Competitive salary
- Learning and development stipend, because we value lifelong learning and believe the best way to invest in our employees is to encourage them to continue to learn
- Work hard and laugh lots (chicken wings and french toast, etc.) with a high-performing, fun and diverse team
- Weekly afternoon teas and fully stocked fridge
- Coffee stipend
- Conveniently located office surrounded by diverse and delicious lunch options
- Lively office with gaming consoles and a ping pong table
- Fun extracurricular activities with your colleagues like hiking, yoga, badminton, wine tasting, dragon boat racing, rock climbing, etc.
- Employee referral bonuses
Awards & recognition:
- KPMG’s 2018 Fintech Top 100 – #7 in China and #23 globally, only Hong Kong fintech recognized on the list for 3 straight years
- The Asian Banker’s “Best Business Model” and “Best Data Analytics Initiative” in 2018
We offer competitive salary package to the successful candidate. If you are interested in joining this exciting team, please email your resume to us at [email protected].
All information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment purposes only. Information of unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed within 12 months of receipt.Submit your resume